Thursday, September 3, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Chili

Chili is one of my favorite ways to use up bits and pieces left over in my fridge and pantry, along with stirfry. I'm trying to use up everything before I go grocery shopping again so tonight is a chili night (plus, I needed a crockpot meal so I could get caught up on some housekeeping).

I use dry beans so this morning when I made breakfast, I threw about 1/3 c each of red kidney beans and white northern beans into the crockpot along with 4 c of chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Once the beans were mostly cooked, I added 1 c of salsa, 1 c of water, and chopped up the odds and ends from the fridge: yellow pepper, 1 1/2 cooked chicken breasts from last night's Picatta, celery, carrot and a couple potatoes.

I make my chili pretty chunky and thick because otherwise Kevin doesn't consider it a meal, silly man. I'll whip up some quick fresh guacamole when it's time to serve (just avacado, a little red onion and a squeeze of lime juice).

No comments:

Post a Comment