Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken and Gravy Sandwhiches

Kevin saw this recipe on an episode of Rachel Ray on Food Network. I made a couple small adjustments to cut the fat a bit and for personal taste. It turned out very well and will be joining the regular rotation of dinners for us.

Chicken and gravy Sandwhiches

Ingredients
4 naked chicken breasts
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
3 lemons(juice of)
4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
honey
4 pieces of baguette or sandwich rolls
Gravy:
2 tbsp butter
flour
Stone Ground mustard
Chicken stock


Method
Chicken:
1. Combine finely chopped garlic, finely chopped parsley, the juice of 3 lemons, and a drizzle of honey in a gallon freezer bag.
2. Whisk in just enough olive oil to mix marinade(about 4 tbsp for me), and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add chicken breast to bag and massage to thoroughly cover chicken. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
4. Heat nonstick skillet over med high heat with 1 tbsp of marinade. When hot, add chicken.
5. Sear chicken until lightly brown on both sides and cooked through.
6. Slice cooked breasts into diagonal slices.
7. Dip chicken slices into gravy until well covered and use to fill baguette/sandwich roll.

Gravy:
1. Melt 2 tbsp of butter cut into thin pats over med heat in a saucepan.
2. Add in flour (approx 3 tbsp), salt and pepper.
3. Whisk flour until butter is completely absorbed and flour lightly browned.
4. Whisk in 2 c chicken stock until flour is dissolved and gravy is smooth.
5. Whisk in 1-2 tbsp stone ground mustard until smooth.
6. Simmer on low, stirring occaisionally, until needed.


*************

I made a few changes from the original recipe that inspired it. I cut down on the amount of olive oil used in the marinade and the amount put in the pan. I also slightly reduced the amount of butter in the gravy. I also chose to use stone ground organic mustard instead of dijon mustard. I just prefer the taste.

We needed two chicken breasts for three sandwiches, leaving 2 chicken breasts that I'll incorporate into tonight's dinner. I also had almost 2 c of gravy leftover. So while the gravy is pretty fatty (with all that butter!), we probably only used a tbsp or so on each sandwich.
The original recipe served the sandwiches with "smashed potatoes", but Kevin wanted fries. The next time I make this, I'll probably grill the chicken, as I think that would better carmelize the honey in the marinade. The gravy is definitely a winner and will be making an appearance in other dishes I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment