Sunday, December 6, 2009

Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup

Kevin loooves Split Pea Soup. I prefer a chicken version I adapted from a clean eating cookbook. Since I had a ham bone and leftover cooked ham in the freezer, he's getting his version- perfect for the frosty weather we're having. I enjoy having soups on the weekends when we're usually working on things around the house or outside or running errands. Makes for a stressfree dinner whenever we happen to get hungry.

Split Pea and Ham Soup

Ingredients
1 package (16 oz) dried split peas
2 c diced fully cooked ham
1 c diced carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
5 c boiling water
1 c hot milk

Method
  1. In a 5 qt slow cooker, layer the first nine ingredients in order listed (without stirring).
  2. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
  3. Stir in milk.
  4. Discard bay leaves before serving.


How easy is that! Since I had the ham bone, I threw that in too :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment