Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Spaghetti and Crockpot Meatballs

Yesterday, I had the little monkey's 4 month well baby check (read: shots!) so I knew that dinner would have to be either made ahead or very quick as I would have one fussy young'un by dinnertime. I ended up deciding on a combination of make ahead and quick. Spaghetti is a favorite around here, although we've had to compromise a bit on sauce. The husband likes a plain meat sauce. I like a more seasoned roasted tomato sauce without meat. Our compromise is meat balls :)

CrockPot Meatballs

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef (I prefer sirloin)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c fresh bread crumbs
2 cloves finely diced garlic
1/2 med onion, chopped
3-4 sundried tomatoes, very finely chopped
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 c prepared tomato sauce/marinara
Onion powder*
Garlic powder*
Oregano*
Salt and Pepper*
Garlic Olive Oil

* to taste

Method
  1. Combine ground beef, beaten egg, bread crums, sun-dried tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. I use my hands for this part. It takes less pounding to get everything combined, keeping the meat more tender.
  2. Form ground beef into large balls, I try for slightly larger than golf balls. The large size helps keep the meatballs from becoming dry.
  3. Brown meatballs in a hot pan.
  4. Once meatballs are mostly brown, add a tbsp or 2 of garlic olive oil, onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
  5. Place meatballs in slow cooker and add olive oil, onion and garlic.
  6. Cover meatballs with diced tomatoes and prepared marinara. Season as needed.
  7. Cook on low for 4-5 hours.

I served these over spaghetti, making for a quick dinner I could do in the brief moments little man would let me set him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment