1 lb lean ground beef (I prefer sirloin)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c fresh bread crumbs
2 cloves finely diced garlic
1/2 med onion, chopped
3-4 sundried tomatoes, very finely chopped
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 c prepared tomato sauce/marinara
Salt and Pepper*
Garlic Olive Oil
* to taste
- Combine ground beef, beaten egg, bread crums, sun-dried tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. I use my hands for this part. It takes less pounding to get everything combined, keeping the meat more tender.
- Form ground beef into large balls, I try for slightly larger than golf balls. The large size helps keep the meatballs from becoming dry.
- Brown meatballs in a hot pan.
- Once meatballs are mostly brown, add a tbsp or 2 of garlic olive oil, onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Place meatballs in slow cooker and add olive oil, onion and garlic.
- Cover meatballs with diced tomatoes and prepared marinara. Season as needed.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
I served these over spaghetti, making for a quick dinner I could do in the brief moments little man would let me set him down.