Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eating Clean

I am a huge believer in the power of nutrition. It is an art and a science. The art of cooking and preparing food in all its varied forms. The science of fueling the body for maximum performance and health. For me, the power of food manifests itself in the prevention of my migraines. I suffered from intense headaches and migraines from childhood. In my 20s, I discovered that by reducing or eliminating packaged foods with their preservatives and dyes from my diet I also reduced my migraines and generally felt better.

As I attempt to regain my fitness post-baby and make myself into the healthiest role model possible, I find myself again looking to nutrition. The eating style that I have found matches up most closely to my own ideas and opinions I found in a body building magazine. The concept of "eating clean" appealed to my sense of preferring food in its original form.

I am now embarking on a new adventure of combining eating clean with eating with attached infant. :) One of my projects for the next few months is adapting slow cooker recipes that I have liked to be healthier.

The basics of Clean Eating:
  • Eat five to six times a day- three meals plus two to three snacks. Including lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables, and a complex carb at each meal.
  • Drink plenty of H2O- I aim for half my body weight in ozs
  • Get label savy- Aiming for whole foods and avoiding chemicals and preservatives.
  • Avoid processed and refined foods- white flour, sugar, bread and pasta, and most foods that come in a box
  • Know your enemies- avoiving foods high in saturated and trans fat, fried foods, foods high in sugar
  • Shop with a conscience-consume humanely raised and local meats and produce
  • Consume healthy fats- a balanced diet is vital, and includes fat. EFAs are a basic building block
  • Learn about portion sizes- and learn to recognize and respect them
  • Reduce your carbon footprint- eat seasonal and local
  • Moderation is key- limit alcohol to a treat
  • Slow down and savor- food tastes best and is best absorbed when eaten slowly and enjoyed!
  • Take it to go- pack a cooler for work or outings so healthy options are always available.
  • Make it a family affair- food is social glue that should be shared. Improve the quality of your family's life (and set yourself up for success) by sharing the benefits of eating clean

**My first post-baby goal- to consistently fit in five to six balanced meal/snacks, with at least 64 ozs of water. **

No comments:

Post a Comment