Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tuesday night Baked Chicken

The little man was still a little on the fussy side, so a quick prep time was on order. I had decided on baked chicken in my weekly menu, leaving me some flexibility as to what that entailed.

I decided on a honey mustard chicken. I recently reworked my receipe to make it even healthier- it's undergone several renovations over the last couple years as I adjusted my lifestyle to fit my goals. This is definitely the version I am happiest with.

Honey Mustard Chicken
Ingredients:
Mustard (dijon, stone ground, etc)
Yogurt, Plain non or low fat
Honey
Wheat Germ (or Oatmeal, Crushed cereal flakes, anything crunchy in your pantry)
1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into tenders

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Combine 3 tbsp mustard, 3 tbsp yogurt, and 1 tbsp honey and mix well.
  3. Spray 13"x9" baking sheet or pan with non stick spray
  4. Dredge chicken in mustard mix and lay in single layer on baking sheet
  5. Sprinkle wheat germ (or crunch ingredient of choice) over top of chicken tenders
  6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes depending on thickness and your oven.

This is one of my go to quick recipes as I can make it one handed as long as I've already cut up the chicken- which I usually do that morning to make dinner quick. I really prefer a good stone ground mustard for this recipe as I don't think yellow mustard can match the flavor when baked- but it could definitely substitute in a pinch. I like Wheat Germ as the crunch factor for added nutritional value. I served this with quinoa seasoned with oregano, parsley and basil (all dried), and had a large mixed salad while dinner was cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment