Tuesday, November 17, 2009

One of my favorite soups- Pappa al Pomodoro

Soup is one of my absolute favorite things. Especially, traditional Italian soups. I didn't realize how much I liked these soups until I received a fabulous cookbook as a gift a few years ago. Soups of Italy is beautiful, informative and easy to follow. I'm slowly making my way through the recipes. One thing I've noticed is that while many of these recipes are higher in calories than many of my favorite meals, they are SO filling that I eat less at one sitting. Especially for chilly fall and winter weather, these substantial soups just hit the spot.

Pappa al Pomodoro (tomato and bread soup)

1/3 c EVOO
3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 28 oz can of plum tomatoes or 2 1/2 lbs very ripe fresh plum tomatoes
Pinch of crushed chili flakes (optional)
6 c broth (any kind)
1 lb stale whole wheat country bread, cut into 1" cubes
salt and pepper
6-8 large basil leaves, finely shredded

Method:

  1. Combine the oil and garlic in a heavy bottomed soup pot. Saute over low heat until the garlic is golden, 3-4 minutes.
    Add the tomatoes and chili flakes and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
  2. Reserving a ladleful of the broth, add about 5 cups to the tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, add the bread with just enough of the reserved broth to soften it. Mash the bread, using the bottom of a whisk. Add to the soup, stir well to combine and gently simmer for about 10 minutes. If the soup appears too thick, add a little broth or water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. remove soup from heat, stir in basil and serve with a drizzle of olive oil
**soup is commonly served with a few tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese stirred in

For those in the Ft Campbell area, Silke's has a wonderful country wheat bread that is perfect for using in this soup. (just make sure to keep a crusty end to dip)

2 comments:

  1. I love tomato soup! This one sounds so easy to make. Bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan- it is very easy, a great use for stale bread, and very satisfying !

    ReplyDelete